Friday, 16 December 2011

Melancholia

I finally got round to watching Melancholia last night, I missed it at the cinema due to some melancholia of my own but it was well worth the wait. It feels like I've being waiting so long for this film to come out because I remember talking and being excited about it when I was in a tattoo studio, over a year ago. On the wall was a design of a fox's head with 'Chaos Reigns' written underneath, which is a reference from Lars Von Trier's film prior to this one, Antichrist. I felt like I had won the million pound question for recognising it and I decided the little framed fox was one of the best tattoo designs I had ever seen. And so the fox prompted me to think of Lars and Melancholia...
Knowing that Kirsten Dunst was going to be in Melancholia assured me I would love the film anyway. (I have no idea why, but for some reason, Kirsten Dunst is one of my favourite things on earth.) I also realised I really like Lars Von Trier films (except Dancer in the Dark) so there was no way that I was going to be disappointed and I wasn't! 
During the opening scenes of the film I was going crazy making screen shots because it was all just so good! This is Kirsten Dunst's character, Justine's horse, Abraham.
This is Justine having a lonely wee in her wedding dress on her wedding day, which was a bit weird but I like the scene so much because it reminds me of Kirsten Dunst as Lux in the Virgin Suicides when Trip has just left her on the field. It made me imagine Lux all grown up and on her wedding day but she is still as depressed as ever. 
Then I was reminded of Kirsten Dunst as Marie Antoinette when she was in the bath! I fell in love with Justine's pearl earrings and I decided when it is my wedding day I want to wear some earrings just like these.
Basically, I was only really interested in Kirsten Dunst's character and poor Charlotte Gainsbourg appears in none of my screen shots you may notice! This is sort of besides the point, but in one scene Dunsty is topless and I don't understand this, because I once read she would only ever do this on film for Pedro Almodovar. I wonder why she changed her mind...
The early morning blue light reminds me of the Virgin Suicides yet again, which is my favourite film of all time by the way! My favourite Lux Lisbon is back... until Melancholia hits and the world ends!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you enjoyed the film! I haven't seen it yet but, like you, for some reason I LOVE Kirsten and must see this!

    ReplyDelete